Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why do we Love? or How to Love- Swami Chinmayananda.

"Recently, I met an old couple who had lived 53 years of married life! They had their tiffs, quarrels, mutual screamings at each other. Yet, they lived joyously and saw their children get educated, becoming independent and now they are living happily with their own growing families.

The old couple have grandchildren, great grandchildren and two great-great grandchildren. As I was talking to them, we went back in time and I asked what made him marry her. After a moment's pause, the toothless lips parted in a mischievous smile, and his bony hand moved quitely to hold the wrinkled and knotted fingers of the lady and said,"I married her and we remained in marriage so long because we have so many faults in common". The old lady admiringly smiled in to his face.

I asked her if she has an explanation for their married life; she shyly looked in his eyes and slowly reminded me, "Swamiji, we like someone 'because', but we love someone 'in spite of'.

I was silenced. I came away wiser carrying with me the picture of the old grandsire shaking his head in admiration for the lady!"
......Swami Chinmayananda..

Chinamayanandaji's formidable way of presenting a point is once again forcefully throws open many a locked doors inside us.

No comments:

Post a Comment